New online Wildlife Licensing System

From 16 January 2017, applications for several wildlife licence types will be available online via the new Wildlife Licensing System.

The new online system improves the process for applying for and processing wildlife licence applications, enabling applicants/licensees to register an account and apply for a licence, pay licence fees, and submit returns online. The system dashboard also shows all pending applications, licences issued, and returns submitted for each user.

Licence types currently available online are:

Wildlife Conservation Regulations 1970
  • Regulation 4 licence to take dangerous fauna
  • Regulation 5 licence to take protected fauna causing damage to property
  • Regulation 13 licence to deal in avian fauna
  • Regulation 15 licence to take fauna for educational or public purposes (excluding marine mammal interaction licences)
  • Regulation 17 licence to take fauna for scientific purposes*
Wildlife Conservation (Reptiles and Amphibians) Regulations 2002
  • Regulation 17(1) reptile removalist’s licence

Additional licence types will be added to the online system over time.

All applications for the above licence applications must be made online via the new system from 16th January.

*Refer to this guidance note regarding data requirements for returns for Regulation 17 licences issued in the new system.

For further information about the Wildlife Licensing System, contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Fee changes for licences under the Wildlife Conservation Act 1950 and the Biosecurity and Agriculture Management Act 2007

The Wildlife Conservation Amendment Regulations 2016, published in August 2016, has amended some wildlife licence fees and introduced fees for other licence types. The Biosecurity and Agriculture Management (Fees and Charges) Determination for 2016-17, published in June 2017, will also amend fees for permits to keep exotic birds.

Each year, government departments are required to review tariffs, fees and charges with the aim of recovering costs for services offered.

Western bearded dragon
Western bearded dragon
Photo © Ann Storrie

Flora licensing - taking or collecting flora

All flora that is native to Western Australia is protected throughout the State under the Wildlife Conservation Act 1950. Protected flora is defined as any plant (including any wildflower, palm, shrub tree, fern, creeper or vine) and includes any part of a plant, including seeds and spores.

The taking of flora is regulated by the issue of licences under the Wildlife Conservation Act 1950 and Wildlife Conservation Regulations 1970. A Scientific or Other Prescribed Purposes (SOPP) Licence is required to take flora from Crown land (non-commercial) and a Commercial Purposes Licence is required for the take of flora for sale from Crown land. A Commercial Producer’s Licence is required to sell flora taken lawfully from private property.

Licences to keep reptiles as pets

In Western Australia, a licence is required to keep reptiles and amphibians as pets. This measure is in place to ensure such animals receive the specialised care they require. See the  pdfApproved Reptile Keeping List 2016809.41 KB to find out which reptiles are suitable to keep as pets, refer to the Keeping Advice Sheets to learn about basic requirements and to determine which species might be a suitable pet for you, then download and submit the appropriate form.

Fauna licensing

People who carry out fauna surveys must hold a licence to take fauna for scientific purposes. Licence holders are also required to submit a return detailing the species and numbers that were captured or sighted. The Fauna Survey Returns System captures these returns in an electronic format but has limited search and download capabilities for searching other submitted returns. However, NatureMap has records from multiple sources, including fauna surveys, and is a powerful search tool.

You also require a licence to deal in herpetofauna, to keep fauna for educational purposes, to undertake professional kangaroo shooting, to remove reptiles, to farm and breed fauna for sale or commercial display, and to acquire, import or export fauna or to take fauna and flora for other purposes.

For fauna research licensing and database inquiries, contact:
Senior Licensing Officer - Fauna
DPaW Wildlife Licensing Section
Locked Bag 30
Bentley Delivery Centre WA 6983
Telephone: +61 8 9219 9831
email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Native sandalwood

Western Australian sandalwood (Santalum spicatum) is a slow-growing, long-lived small woody tree or shrub that occurs naturally throughout the southern part of the State and into South Australia. It is valuable and highly sought-after for the oils the plant contains. Western Australian sandalwood is now unique as the world’s largest and only remaining wild resource.

Native sandalwood harvesting on Crown land is managed by the Forest Products Commission under a contract system through a licence issued by the Wildlife Licensing Section of Parks and Wildlife. Parks and Wildlife regulates the sandalwood harvest from freehold land under a licencing system.

In May 2014, the Legislative Council Standing Committee on Environment and Public Affairs  released a report on the findings of its inquiry into the sandalwood industry. The report, Report 35 – Inquiry into the Sandalwood Industry in Western Australia, recommended a review of the native sandalwood harvest quota with a view to reducing the quantity that may be harvested.

Parks and Wildlife’s report into the native sandalwood harvest quota provided advice on an appropriate quantity, composition and duration of the harvest to improve the conservation outcomes for the species, as well as providing the range of regional, social and economic objectives sought by government for this industry.

pdfReview of the Sandalwood (Limitation of Removal of Sandalwood) Order 1996 Report622.27 KB

The native sandalwood harvest quota for the next 10 years and six months from 1 July 2016 to 31 December 2026 has been set through the Sandalwood (Limitation on Removal of Sandalwood) Order (No. 2) 2015.

Beekeeping (apiary) licences

The Departmentof Parks and Wildlife can grant apiary site permits and licences for the use of Crown lands. The department can also grant apiary authorities on land vested in the Conservation Commission, subject to consultation with the Commission and the approval of the Minister for Environment. Granting of licences and permits must be in accordance with a management plan for the area. The department also seeks the approval of other government agencies when applications are received for the placement of beehives on land not managed by the department.

Apiary authorities can be issued for a term of one year, three years, five years or seven years depending on the land tenure. Stringent environmental conditions ensure compliance with the department's management requirements, water catchment guidelines, dieback control, fire prevention and native vegetation clearing.

Apiary application forms and information

Commercial Operations Licences

Anyone operating a commercial business or offering educational services for private benefit (profit) in areas managed by Department of Parks and Wildlife (DPaW) wil require a commercial Operations Licence.

This not only includes tourism and recreational related products, but also services such as the supply of transport, information, instruction, supervision and the sale of goods Regulation 2).

Commercial operations licence application forms

Commercial filming lawful authority

Any photographer taking images or footage for commercial purposes on Parks and Wildlife-managed lands must obtain have the department's permission. Non-commercial/private photography does not normally require lawful authority. 

Commercial filming permit forms

Articles in this category:

Title Modified Date
Birds as pets Wednesday, 05 April 2017 10:28
Fauna licences Friday, 13 January 2017 12:39
Flora licences Friday, 13 January 2017 12:55
Reptiles and amphibians as pets Monday, 03 November 2014 15:55