Article Index

Other licences and authorities

Restricted bird keeping and importing

DBCA issues restricted bird keeping permits on behalf of the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD). The application form is below.

For information on the import of restricted birds into WA, please contact DPIRD by phone on 08 9363 4061 or 1800 084 881, or by email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Other licences and authorities
Licence/AuthorityActivityInformation sheetsApplication form
Restricted keeping permit Keep exotic birds

pdfRestricted bird species list221.04 KB

pdfImporting and keeping introduced animals584.46 KB

pdfState barrier animal inspections

pdfRestricted bird permit application381.09 KB

dotRestricted bird permit application138 KB

Beekeeping (apiary) licences

The Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA) can grant apiary site permits and licences for the use of beehives on Crown lands. The department can also grant apiary authorities on land vested in the Conservation Commission, subject to consultation with the Commission and the approval of the Minister for Environment. Granting of licences and permits must be in accordance with a management plan for the area. The department also seeks the approval of other government agencies when applications are received for the placement of beehives on land not managed by the department.

Apiary authorities can be issued for a term of one year, three years, five years or seven years depending on the land tenure. Stringent environmental conditions ensure compliance with the department's management requirements, water catchment guidelines, dieback control, fire prevention and native vegetation clearing.

Apiary application forms and information

Commercial Operations Licences

Anyone operating a commercial business or offering educational services for private benefit (profit) in areas managed by DBCA will require a Commercial Operations Licence.

This not only includes tourism and recreational related products, but also services such as the supply of transport, information, instruction, supervision and the sale of goods Regulation 2).

Commercial operations licence application forms

Commercial filming lawful authority

Any photographer taking images or footage for commercial purposes on lands managed by the DBCA must obtain the department's permission. Non-commercial/private photography does not normally require lawful authority. 

Commercial filming permit forms