Article Index

More information on making an application

A detailed guide to planning, licensing and development functions and procedures is provided in the pdfDevelopment Control Procedures3.02 MB.  

More information, including processing times, is available on the Frequently asked questions page.


The information Parks and Wildlife and the Swan River Trust considers when assessing development applications is set out in a series of policies.
Before making a development application, it is recommended you review these policies for relevant information and guidance.

If you have read through the application forms and the policies and you’re still not sure about how to make your application or what should be included, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call (08) 9219 9000.

Lodging your application

Most development applications should be lodged with the local government where the proposal is located. This is true for applications made under the Swan and Canning Rivers Management Act 2006, and applications made under the Metropolitan Region Scheme. The local government will then forward the application to Parks and Wildlife.

If the proposed development is not in a local government or redevelopment authority area (for example some parts of the waterway), the application should be submitted direct to Parks and Wildlife in person to:

Rivers and Estuaries Division
Department of Parks and Wildlife
17 Dick Perry Avenue
Technology Park, Western Precinct

Or by post to:

Rivers and Estuaries Division
Department of Parks and Wildlife
Locked Bag 104